My friend Frank Mancuso is a man of MANY talents. I won’t go into all of his wonderful qualities, but he is wickedly funny, always looks like a million bucks and he’s pretty awesome in the kitchen. My nickname for Frank is “Moffie” which stands from “My Other Frankie”. At first I was the only one who called him this term of endearment but now many of my friends only know him as Moffie.
When Moffie first made this Watermelon and Feta salad for me, I nearly died. It is that good.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallot (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 medium seedless watermelon, rind removed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces good feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced (dry not wet)
- 6 cups arugula clean and dry
- 2 cups whole fresh mint leaves, julienned
Whisk together the orange and, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.
Place the arugula, watermelon feta, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately. ENJOY!
P.S. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mom! I love you.